Thursday, March 1, 2012

Me, the Penny-Pincher

      I just love horse shopping. Finding a good horse pleases me very much. My horse trailer costs more than my best horse. I don't see anything wrong with this. No matter what show I am at people allways gasp when they hear how much a paid for my horse. In the local hunter circut, my horse costs on average $20,000 less than theirs. It is almost the same for the local dressage horses. It never fail to astonish people that my $3,000 rescue mare places consistantly and even wins sometimes.
     I was browsing yesterday and found a few ads that just BLEW MY MIND. These horses are probably very-well trained and have prestigious blodliness. However, I cannot see myself ever buying a $200,000 hunter horse. I will not post a picture or name the horse because anybody that has this money for a horse probably can find a way for their lawyer to sue me for ruining the sale of this horse. 
      Reading the ad I thought "Wow, nice bloodlines, good conformation, nice height, etc" So I scroll down to the description. What does the title say? "POTENTIAL TO WIN!" Huh? What? EXCUSE ME?!?! Potential? As in hasn't won anything yet? How old is he? I will tell you: 10 y/o. I, personally would NOT fork out 200,000 smack-a-roonies for a hunter horse that hasn't won anything. I thought the whole point of buying an expensive "push-button" hunter was to just hang on and win... but that's just me. I love a nicely trained hunter but this price would likely send me into cardiac arrest. 
     On another fine afternoon, I spied a dressage horse sale website. Hmm... la-ti-da-bla-bla-bla. $40k, $70k, but then... "Private treaty in the six digits" Um... what? Title: "Yearling stud colt by [insert name of fancy stud]" I think I just peed my pants...
      Enough for you? ever heard of Green Monkey? Well, apparently a lot of green was used to create this TB race horse that sold for a whopping $16,000,000 according to http://www.weirdlyodd.com. He is listed at a pet, but any horse person knows that this is no pet!
     He is gorgeous though.
Hubba-hubba

And look! He has a great personality!
Oh yeah! The ladies LOVE him!
(I know I do!)


Future prediction: This lucky soul will probably not end up having to be re homed as an OTTB. 


     




No comments:

Post a Comment